Norma's Brussel Sprouts
I loved the fact that when Norma contributed this salad to lunch, she respected my diet (no raw veggies) with compassion and creativity. Adapted from "The Union Square Cafe Cookbook."
- 1 lb sprouts
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 clove garlic smashed
- juice of 1/2 Meyer lemon
- (grated lemon zest)
- Garnish with additional lemon zest. Serves 5.
- Trim and slice sprouts in half lengthwise. Thinly slice them across width with thinner slices near the stem.
- Add them to the bowl of lemon juice and toss, separating the leaves. At this point, the salad can be refrigerated for up to 3 hrs.
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet with the garlic and saute the sprouts, stirring often until they are wilted but still bright and crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Season spariingly with lemon-pepper or Maldon sea salt. Stir and cook 1 more minute. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon zest.