Is it possible to make tapioca pudding that tastes as good as Horn & Hardarts' or Kozy Shack's? After 3 or 4 tries, I say "Yes." Tapioca is available in various sizes. I had on hand not the seed variety or the jumbo, but the medium "Sabudana" from Little India. Cream has less lactose than skim or low-fat milk, and a little of it helps here.
- 1/3 c tapioca
- 1 egg
- tsp vanilla
- tbs butter
- 3 tbs c heavy cream / ice cream / whipped
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1 3/4 c rice milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Rince, strain, then soak the tapioca in rice milk 6+ hrs or pressure cook 13 min in a pyrex bowl set on the basket inside the cooker (1/2-1 c water underneath).
- Pour the room temperature mix into a saucepan and stir vigorously mixing the tapiocas settled at the bottom. Add salt and sugar.
- Add the remaining ingredients, continuing to stir well. Cook, stirring, 5-10 minutes over medium flame to thicken to pudding-like consistency. (If this isn't happening, add 2 tbs arrowroot to a little of the cool liquid, mix in, and continue cooking).
- Let cool, covered, then spoon into serving dishes. Cover them with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Serve with fruit garnish and whipped cream.